Frequently Asked Questions – You Asked, We Answer!
In the old days when home trampolines began to be somewhat popular, people were convinced that only gymnasts and cheerleaders are capable enough to use them. But the truth is everything but this as more and more people of every age tend to use it regularly. Kids have a fantastic time jumping on it, playing games, and working out simultaneously, not even realizing it. The benefits it will bring to their overall health are enormous. Choosing a trampoline size that will best fit your need can be a hard task. It is human nature that people want to buy the biggest trampoline available on the market. But is this necessary? Well, not exactly as this is in most cases completely unnecessary.
Do I need any previous gymnastics experience?
No, everybody can jump on the trampoline as no previous experience is needed. Only make sure that you jump within your skillset. Don’t expect that doing flips is easy and that you should immediately try it. For a start, just some regular bouncing will suffice. You do not have to be a gymnast to use a trampoline, and there are several health benefits associated with trampolines that should convince you!
Is there a minimum age limit?
Generally, there is an age limit for standard outdoor trampolines where age 6+ is considered as a bare minimum for using trampolines bigger than 10 ft. For younger children, we would recommend trampolines designed specifically for them. Bear in mind that kids’ trampolines are usually smaller in size and can be used indoors, all year long.
What size trampoline do I need?
When trying to choose a trampoline size you need to consider the following:
- Who will be using it? As you might presume, there is no point in buying a 14ft or bigger trampoline only if the bouncer will be a toddler or small child. In that case, it is best to buy an 8ft or 10ft trampoline. 12ft trampolines can be purchased if the trampoline will be used by older children or teenagers and 14 ft only for teenagers or the whole family. Always try to match children’s age and capabilities with the size of the trampoline. Also, the next aspect of the decision is the size of your garden. Take those facts into consideration and you will get the perfect trampoline size that will suit your needs.
- Will it fit your backyard? We always want the best & biggest, but there were cases when people forgot that their backyard is not big enough for trampoline ordered… Most likely this can occasionally happen when people order online, without seeing how big that trampoline really is.
For more info check out our guide on choosing your trampoline!
What are the available shapes of trampolines and when to use which?
Trampolines come in several shapes, and each one has its purpose. They are available in five main types: round, rectangular, oval, and square trampolines (which were introduced for filling out a gap between round and rectangular and they take the best qualities of both) plus some additional models, like octagonal. And there is one more category which covers more and more popular mini trampolines. Check here for the best mini trampolines.
Is there any difference when jumping on different shapes of trampolines?
This answer is pretty straightforward – YES.
If you want the best bouncing experience then only rectangular, oval and springless trampolines can be considered.
Difference between them is that rectangular trampolines are better in height of bounce, but they are not as safe as trampolines can be, not even near springless trampolines but pretty close to round trampolines. So which one to take is all about what you need it for, recreational or training purposes.
- If part-time recreation is the main reason, springless trampolines would be my first choice.
- If the main reason is training, the rectangular trampoline is what you need as round trampolines mostly do not have enough room for performing tricks (but are safer because jumpers in round trampolines are always directed to the center of the trampoline mat) and rectangular will give you best performance and available space (but are less safer because jumpers alone decide where it will land on a mat).
- With oval trampolines, you can get enough room for tricks and as the design is similar to round trampolines, they also point bouncers back to the center of the trampoline mat.
Note: All pro/semi-pro bouncers strictly use rectangular trampolines.
Do all trampolines have the same weight limit?
Of course not. The trampoline weight limit is different on all trampolines, based on several elements from which the trampoline is made of. Frame thickness, springs, mat quality, number of stitches and overall quality of those parts has a huge impact on the maximum weight limit of the bouncer.
Some general specifications are like this:
Shape – ROUND
- 8ft – 10ft trampolines – from 200 – 250 lbs
- 12ft trampolines – from 250 – 300 lbs
- 14ft – 16ft trampolines – from 250 – 400 lbs
Shape – RECTANGULAR
- All trampoline sizes – from 200 – 450 lbs
Shape – OVAL
- 16ft trampolines – from 300 – 450 lbs
Shape – OCTAGONAL
I want the best available trampoline on the market for recreational purposes. Which should I buy?
If you plan to use your trampoline for recreational purposes daily consider buying a 14 or 15 ft round trampoline, 9 x 15 ft rectangular trampoline or 8 x 13 ft large oval spring-based or springless trampoline. Of course, size and available place in your backyard also count.
Professional Trampolines Vs. Outdoor Recreational Trampolines
Professional trampolines are intended to be more powerful and more durable compared to normal trampolines. Generally, the elasticity of these trampolines is situated throughout the springs as they require more rigidity and firmness. Professional trampolines come only in one shape – as rectangular trampolines!
• A majority of the parts of a professional trampoline are made up of steel. Despite their weight, these trampolines are easy to move from one place to the other.
• This is normally used by sports professionals and in some situations, by normal individuals who may be using it for exercise.
• Their fabrics are specially developed and made sturdier than normal trampolines but are still considerably lightweight which allows for easy transport.
• The average base size of this type of trampoline is 14 – 17 feet.
• All these features, especially the springs, are what allow the user to bounce much higher.
Trampolines for professional use are expected to cost more than your normal trampolines. The price is reasonably high, as this has a top-quality that a lot of professional athletes rely on, especially in cases where this is to be used for business or in competition. These are used in various sports to condition athletes in sports like cross-training and skiing.
There are a lot of advantages to having a trampoline of this type. It’s a good practice to research thoroughly first on the particular type you need by looking up some more information on the internet or probably you could find someone who has familiarity and knowledge about them. From there, you can decide which is best. You need to consider all angles like the quality, the safety, the price, etc.
Ultimate 4×4 made by Eurotramp, a true competition trampoline used in the Olympics and World Trampolining Championship!
For other, semi-pro (rectangular trampolines) you can click here.
How NOT to get hurt on a trampoline!?
This is an interesting question but unfortunately, there is no unique answer. But we can tell you this:
- always read the trampoline user manual as it will help you get started with your trampoline training, if nothing more, you will learn some basic moves to start with!
- always use trampoline safety pads and trampoline enclosure – they are a lifesaver,
- check trampoline mat for cuts or tearings before every training session,
- check if trampoline springs are firmly attached to frames and mat,
- DO NOT overestimate your abilities. Learn to bounce properly before performing any tricks,
- DO NOT let children inside the trampoline without supervision. Trampoline is not a kindergarten,
- If the neighbour’s kids will come to play any trampoline games, explain to them how to act on a trampoline. Rules must be known!