Frequently Asked Questions – You Asked, We Answer!
In the old days when home trampolines begn to be somewhat popular, people were convinced that only gymnasts and cheerleaders are capable enough to use it. But truth is everything but this as more and more people of every age tend to use it regulary. Kids have fanatastic time jumping on it, playing games and working out simultanously, not even realizing it. Benefits it will bring to their overall health are enormous. Choosing a trampoline size that will best fit your need can be hard task. It is in human nature that people want to buy biggest trampoline available on the market. But is this really necessary? Well, not exactly as this is in most cases completely unnecessary.
Do I need any previous gymnastics experience?
No, everybody can jump on trampoline as no previous experience is needed. Only make sure that you jump within your skill set. Don`t expect that doing flips is easy and that you should immediately try it. For a start, just some regular bouncing will suffice. You do not have to be a gymnast to use a trampoline, and there are several health benefits associated with trampolines which should convince you!
Is there minimum age limit?
Generally there is age limit for standard outdoor trampolines where age 6+ is considered as bare minimum for using trampolines bigger than 10 ft. For younger children we would recommend trampolines designed specifically for them. Bare in mind that kids trampolines are usually smaller in size and can be used indoors, all year long.
Best kids trampolines here.
What size of trampoline do I need?
When trying to choose trampoline size you need to consider following:
- Who will be using it? As you might presume, there is no point buying 14ft or bigger trampoline if only bouncer will be toddler or small child. In that case, it is best to buy 8ft or 10ft trampoline. 12ft trampolines can be purchased if trampoline will be used by older children or teenagers and 14 ft only for teenagers or whole family. Always try to match children`s age and capabilities with size of the trampoline. Also, next aspect for decision is size of your garden. Take those facts into consideration and you will get perfect trampoline size which will suit your needs.
- Will it fit your backyard? We always want best & biggest, but there were cases when people forgot that their backyard is no big enough for trampoline ordered… Most likely this can occasionally happen when people order online, without seeing how big that trampoline really is.
For more info check out our guide on choosing your trampoline!
What are available shapes of trampoline and when to use which?
Trampolines come in several shapes, where each one has it purpose. They are available in five main types: round, rectangular, oval, square trampolines (which were introduced for filling out a gap between round and rectangular and they take best qualities of both) plus some additional models, like octagonal. And there is one more category which covers more and more popular mini trampolines. Check here for best mini trampolines.
Is there really any difference when jumping on different shapes of trampolines?
This answer is pretty straight-forward – YES.
If you really want best bouncing experience then only rectangular, oval and springless trampolines can be considered.
Difference between them is that rectangular trampolines are better in height of bounce, but they are not so safe as trampolines can be, not even near springless trampolines but pretty close to round trampolines. So which one to take is all about what you really need it for, recreational or training purposes.
- If part-time recreation is main reason, springless trampolines would be my first choice.
- If main reason is training, rectangular trampoline is what you need as round trampolines mostly do not have enough room for performing tricks (but are safer because jumpers in round trampolines are always directed to the center of trampoline mat) and rectangular will give you best performance and available space (but are less safer because jumpers alone decides where it will land on a mat).
- With oval trampolines you can get enough room for tricks and as design is similar to round trampolines, as they also point bouncer back to the center of trampoline mat.
Note: All pro/semi-pro bouncers strictly use rectangular trampolines.
Do all trampolines have same weight limit?
Of course not. Trampoline weight limit is different on all trampolines, based on several elements from which trampoline is made of. Frame thickness, springs, mat quality, number of stitches and overall quality of those parts has huge impact on maximum weight limit of the bouncer.
Some general specifications are like this:
Shape – ROUND
- 8ft – 10ft trampolines – from 200 – 250 lbs
- 12ft trampolines – from 250 – 300 lbs
- 14ft – 16ft trampolines – from 250 – 400 lbs
Shape – RECTANGULAR
- All trampoline sizes – from 200 – 450 lbs
Shape – OVAL
- 16ft trampolines – from 300 – 450 lbs
Shape – OCTAGONAL
I want best available trampoline on the market for recreational purposes. Which should I buy?
If you plan to use your trampoline for recreational purposes on a daily basis consider buying 14 or 15 ft round trampoline, 9 x 15 ft rectangular trampoline or 8 x 13 ft large oval spring based or springless trampoline. Of course, size and available place in your backyard also count.
Professional Trampolines Vs. Outdoor Recreational Trampolines
Professional trampolines are intended to be more powerful and more durable compared to normal trampolines. Generally, the elasticity of these trampolines is situated all throughout the springs as they require more rigidity and firmness. Professional trampolines come only in one shape – as rectangular trampolines!
• A majority of the parts of a professional trampoline is made up of steel. In spite of its weight, these trampolines are easy to move from one place to the other.
• This is normally used by sport professionals and in some situations, by normal individuals who may be using it for exercise.
• Their fabrics are specially developed and made sturdier than normal trampolines but are still considerably lightweight that allows for easy transport.
• The average base size of this type of trampoline is 14 – 17 feet.
• All these features, especially the springs, are what allow the user to bounce much higher.
Trampolines for professional use are expected to cost more than your normal trampolines. The price is reasonably high, as this has top quality that a lot of professional athletes rely on, especially in cases where this is to be used for business or in competition. These are used in various sports to condition the athletes in sports like cross training and skiing.
There are a lot of advantages of having a trampoline of this type. It’s a good practice to research thoroughly first on the particular type you need by looking up some more information on the internet or probably you could find someone who has familiarity and knowledge about them. From there, you can decide on which is best. You need to consider all angles like the quality, the safety, the price, etc.
Ultimate 4×4 made by Eurotramp, true competition trampoline used in Olympics and World Trampolining Championship! Read review of Ultimate 4×4 trampoline.
For other, semi-pro (rectangular trampolines) you can click here.
How NOT to get hurt on trampoline!?
This is interesting question but unfortunately there is no unique answer. But we can tell you this:
- always read trampoline user manual as it will help you get started with your trampoline training, if nothing more, you will learn some basic moves to start with!
- always use trampoline safety pads and trampoline enclosure – they are a life saver,
- check trampoline mat for cuts or tearings before every training session,
- check if trampoline springs are firmly attached to frames and mat,
- DO NOT over-estimate your abilities. Learn to bounce properly before performing any tricks,
- DO NOT let children inside trampoline without supervision. Trampoline is not a kindergarten,
- If neighbors kids will come to play any trampoline games, explain them how to act on trampoline. Rules must be known!